Rachel and Matt’s World Tour
Random header image... Refresh for more!

Northern Thailand

Hello all,

From Laos we crossed the border back into Thailand and headed straight to Chiang Mai, a great town with plenty of stuff to do, so we hung around for 11 days. We took a brilliant cooking class with just the 2 of us and our teacher, Mr Visut, who’s english was hilarious!

The class included a tour of the market, cooking up and devouring 5 delicious Thai dishes of our choosing, a garnishing lesson (be impressed by the photo of my perfect tomato rose!), and an awesome cookbook to take home. We spent a couple of evenings at the vast night market, buying gifts for some of you, and treats to eat for us.

We also went on a disastrous 2 day trek to visit tribal villages, ride elephants and go bamboo rafting. On day 1, after starting with a tiring uphill trek it began to rain…very heavily…for several hours.

Not only were we uncomfortably drenched from scalp to toenail, but the leeches came out for supper. I had one on my belly (no idea how he got there) and Matt had several on his legs, as did another of our companions, also Matt. Gruesome. The other girls in our troup, Elaine, Sarah and Frances, luckily escaped unsucked. It was then very slow going to the village which was our stop for the night, as the pathway turned into a stream in some parts and a mud slide in others. We cautiously crossed a rickety bamboo bridge across to the village where we were so exhausted we surprisingly slept right through in our ‘shack’. We found out in the morning that the bridge had been swept away by the river in the night and so our alternative walk back out of the hills was greatly increased. Of course the rafting and elephant trekking were now out of the question as a result of the dangerously swift river, and ruined tracks. Our optimistic/ lieing little git of a guide, Tri, told us our walk out of the hills would take 5 hours. After 4 hours of steep uphill walking, we were ready to drop but luckily a couple of lifts from very friendly locals much reduced the walking (which we estimate would have been at least 10 hours as we were in a car for over an hour). We had a relay of lifts as the rains had caused flash flooding which had completely taken out several patches of the track, so vehicles were stranded. After lunch, we foolishly felt relief thinking our hardships were over, and were collected by our vehicle to take us back to Chiang Mai. We soon came across a stream that had overflowed, cutting off the road. We waited for over 4 hours for the water to slow and drop, which it did appear to do, but slowly. As it got dark our guide finally decided to try to cross the flooding. When Matt (not Doran) asked why we were trying this now, and why the locals were building rafts, the encouraging response was that the dam upstream was going to burst, so we had to get going to high ground. Of course the truck got stuck almost immediately, so we ended up in the fast flowing waters, in the pitch black, trying to push the bloody thing out. We did not succeed and I was petrified. The 4×4 that had been watching our antics decided that it would be sensible to also enter the water from the otherside. His intention was to get close enought to rope pull our vehicle out but the fool also got stuck immediately. In this sorry state our patience and calm broke and we collected our bags and demanded we get going up the road, and leave the vehicles. Our guide encouraged one last push of the other vehicle which did actually get back out of the water. So then he told us to head up the hill and he disappeared off into the night to get help. Stranded alone in the dark we tried to laugh off the days events, but I think in actual fact we were all pretty scared, and just praying he was going to come back. Luckily our rescue vehicle was quick to return as the police/ranger station was not far down the road (no idea why Tri failed to tell us this or get help earlier). So not much later we were safely back in Chiang Mai with an exciting story to tell and a new bunch of friends – funny how bonding a near death experience can be! The following night was spent drinking to our bravery and dissecting every minute of the trip! The photos indicate that there was also dancing but I don’t much remember that! Matt, Frances, Sarah, Elaine – we couldn’t have been luckier than to ‘enjoy’ the experience with you guys. Thanks.

We did get taken on our elephant trek the next day but refused the offer of rafting. We had seen more than enough of the river. The elephant ride was brilliant. Our elephant was a mummy, so baby followed along. He was very cute and even more greedy for bananas than his mum!

From Chiang Mai we had to take a day trip to the Myanmar border do extend our Thai visa. Not much to tell except the border towns are dumps and the ciggy sellers in Myanmar are way pushy even though their goods are EXTREMELY cheap.

We took the train to Phitsanoluk to enjoy a day cycling around the stunning Sukhotai ruins, which was once the Thai capital. The grounds were beautifully kept. We also stopped in Lopburi to visit the cheeky monkeys that swarm around the ruins there. There were literally hundreds including babies that were only a few days old.

We have been enjoying the increased modernity of Bangkok for a week now; never ending malls, massive cinemas, and shamefully, Starbucks and McDonalds. I had a great day at Chatuchak market which has over 10,000 stalls. Matt says it was hell on earth following me around. It didn’t help that late in the day the rain blessed us with yet another downpour, and the market flooded. We also visited the very impressive Grand Palace, The Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Wat Pho, which has a 46m long reclining Buddha, with pretty pearly feet! We had a great seafood dinner on the streets of Chinatown and many of 7’Eleven’s banana cakes for breakfast (mmmm!).

It is hard to believe we have been in South East Asia for nearly 6 months. Although it has been awesome for the most part, the delicious food, jaw dropping scenery and some great people, we are not completely unhappy to eventually leave. The slower pace of our Nepal trek, and escape from tuk-tuk drivers, various touts, and in particular suit sellers, is now very welcome!

Our next update should be in a month or so when we are back from our trek in the mountains. Fingers crossed for no twisted ankles or altitude sickness!


1 Mum Doran { 09.22.09 at 7:45 am }

Ooooh me first this time! Great pikkies – scary story!! Lets try and make that the hairiest adventure you have in this trip please! We are looking forward to sampling your culinary delights on your return. Feel free!! Love the tomato rose Rachel.
Matt you almost look as appealing in your new hat as you did in your canoing helmet in Wales!
Have been looking up the next adventure (trek in Nepal) that looks good and I am sure you will both enjoy the peaceful surroundings and cooler temperatures after your time in Thailand. Usual routine applies: take care and look after each other.xxx

2 Matt Wihlm { 09.22.09 at 8:17 am }

You did a great job telling the story! Even if your parents now want to fly here themselves to collect you and return home! People looked at me as I read it and laughed aloud! I had a great time with the two of you in Chiang Mai! Stay in touch and have a great time in Nepal and India! The gals and I are heading to Hanoi today! Talk to ya soon!

3 Sheila { 09.22.09 at 10:27 am }

Have been to Chatuchak market. My friend bought 11 pairs of shoes LOL. Sounds scary in the river!! Cooking sounds more my type of activity 🙂

4 Mum and Dad Silsbury { 09.22.09 at 5:31 pm }

Still recovering from our panic attack after reading the story of the nightmare trek in the jungle. What a scary way to experience an adventure.l expect this will be the ‘talking topic’ for a long time to come.We hope the trek up the Himalayas will not be so eventful.Good reading but your safety is of the essence !! Pictures brill,cooking skills admired-bring them home with you.You take good care of yourselves,speak soon.

5 Carol, Dan and Harry { 09.23.09 at 2:01 pm }

Hi guys. Scary story! Worry about you both alot, so not good reading for me. Still,you are both experiencing some fantastic things, things others can only dream of and things you can talk about and remember forever. Still jealous, even with the near death experience.
Things still much the same here as when i last spoke to you.
Countdown to our holiday now though. Cant wait! Will take lots of piccies to show you when you get back. I finally get to meet Winnie the Pooh and Tigger too!
Please take great care on your trek and please, no more stories to worry me. Will worry anyway with the lack of communication for a whole month.
Like I said, take care of each other and hear from you some time soon. Harry sends big wet, slobbery kisses.

6 Carol, Dan and Harry { 09.23.09 at 2:16 pm }

Hey, me again. Just looked at the photos. I have the exact same picture of me by the statues at the Grand Palace as the one you took of Paddy. Stood in exactly the same spot. Was that done deliberatley Rach or sheer coincidence? Brings back good memories little sis.xxxxx

7 Rach { 09.24.09 at 3:10 am }

Caj, Of course I remember the picture! Took me about 10 attempts to recreate it cos Paddy does not have very flexible arms! Hoped you’d notice. Of f shopping today for trekking gear, not handbags or shoes unfortunately. x x

8 cool car { 09.24.09 at 6:56 pm }

Hello you 2 ,that pictures of you all looking down ,1 of you looks like toadie in neibours ,not that i watch it much.All that mud ,should have good complexions when you get back and never want to see rain again .do you realise you have missed nearley a year of emmerdale on telly.oh what j.

9 Frances Colclough { 10.08.09 at 10:39 am }

Hey Guys – I think you captured the drama of that trek perfectly. I emailed my friends to tell them about it, but I think I went on for a few more thousand words than you guys. Don’t know where you are know, but I hope you’re having a blast. I’m in Vietnam at the moment, due to depart for Cambodia tomorrow. Also I got to experience a full-on typhoon in Hoi An, so that was more drama for me, and more worry for my Mum – yikes. Hope you’re both well, xFx

10 Ann-Marie { 10.13.09 at 7:57 am }

Hey guys,
Phew… just read the story and I too am glad to hear you escaped unscathed (if not extremely wet!) Can’t believe you’ve had 6 months in SE Asia- how quickly has that gone! We did elephant trekking when we were in Thailand and it was so much fun- especially when they take you through the rivers! Also reminiscing of the fun of the markets in Bangkok. I managed to drag Chris around from 4pm to 11:30 but he seemed quite happy buying everything he could see as well. (we also took advantage of the McDonalds!)
Glad to hear it is all still going wonderfully well- take care on the trek , I look forward to hearing all about it, Ann-Marie xxx

Leave a Comment